The CVC Book and Resource CD were designed to give children more practice reading words that have the "consonant-vowel-consonant" spelling pattern. CVC Word Families Workbook Vol. 2 has a new set of word families for the children to learn. These types of words are supposed to be "easy" for children to read, and therefore tend to be glossed over by many publishing companies in their beginning reading materials. However, children often need extended practice in sounding out these three letter words in order to feel comfortable with them. They also need a chance to practice them within the context of the sight words that they are learning. Therefore, Heidi created the CVC resource workbook to give children the opportunity to practice these words along with the most basic sight words, and this is the second volume of the book, covering even more word families.
Includes 288 pages of worksheets, flashcards, and mini songbooks
Words Covered in Vol. 2 Are:
• Short A (–ad), (–ag), (–ap) Family Words: bag, gag, jag, lag, mag, rag, sag, tag, wag, bad, dad, fad, had, lad, mad, pad, sad, cap, gap, lap, map, nap, sap, tap, yap, zap
• Short E (–ed), (–em) Family Words: bed, fed, led, red, Ted, wed, hem, them, Em
• Short I (–id), (–im) Family Words: bid, did, hid, kid, lid, mid, rid, Sid, dim, him, Jim, Kim, rim, Tim
• Short O (–od), (–og) Family Words: cod, log, nod, pod, rod, sod, bog, dog, fog, hog, jog
• Short U (–ub), (–ud), (–um), (–up) Family Words: cub, rub, sub, tub, bud, cud, dud, mud, hum, gum, mum, sum, yum, cup, up, pup, yup
Sight words are introduced gradually, with only six basic sight words and six colors introduced in unit one with short vowel a. The included sight words increase to 23 plus the color words in the last unit with short vowel u.
Printable Resources Include:
* Flash cards for 13 different CVC word families
* Five different types of reading worksheets plus several sound sort worksheets for each vowel sound unit
* Flash cards in large format for whole group practice, and small format for homework practice
* Worksheets with “fill in the blank” format for writing practice and “cut and paste” format for fine motor fun
* Simple, child-like pictures that are appealing to children and fun to color
* Sound Sort worksheets to help develop phonemic awareness
* Flash cards for sound sorts or games.
Add the Data CD:
• Printable files from .pdf masters
• Digital format for easy use with Smartboards and other interactive projection devices for large group activities.
• Worksheets printable with either a blank answer space or a lined answer space
Check out Heidi's blog for more information on CVC & Sound Blending:
-How I Got 21 Out of 27 Kids to Master 100% of their CVC Words in Kindergarten
-More Tricks for Sounding Out CVC Words
-How to Teach Kids to Sound Out CVC Words, Plus a Thanksgiving Freebie!
-Teaching CVC Words: What to Do When They Are STILL NOT GETTING IT
-Sounding Out Nonsense Words and CVC Words
Printable Files on Disc - $11.00
• Includes Digital Files (.pdf) of workbook Masters on Disc
Printable Download - $10.00
• Includes Downloadable, Digital Files (.pdf) of workbook Masters
©Heidi Butkus - All HeidiSongs materials, including CDs, DVDs, streaming media, printable files and printed books, are for use in ONE classroom. HeidiSongs Copyright Policy is here.