Please Note: Since there are often multiple versions coming from different publishers, we highly recommend that you cross check your own teachers manual to make sure that our word list matches yours. (We have found that the reading series not only vary from state to state, but can also change from one year to another.)
Word listing & Song order:
1. I word, 2. can, 3. the, 4. we, 5. see, 6. A word, 7. like, 8. to, 9. and, 10. go, 11. you, 12. do, 13. my, 14. are, 15. he, 16. with, 17. is, 18. little, 19. she, 20. was, 21. for, 22. have, 23. of, 24. they, 25. said, 26. want, 27. here, 28. me, 29. this, 30. what, 31. help, 32. too, 33. has, 34. play, 35. look, 36. where, 37. good, 38. who, 39. come, 40. does
Supplemental Material - Workbook Printable Download
Includes three different practice sheets for each word to reinforce sight word recognition, such as:
• Trace both whole and part of the word and then fill in the missing letters.
• Visual discrimination - circle the correct word amongst several “look alike” words.
• Write the letters of the word in boxes sized to each letter, to help children recognize the general shape of the word.
• Write the sight words in sentences with a “fill in the blank” format.
• Reading comprehension - read the word in a sentence, circle it, and illustrate its meaning.
• Mini-Songbooks include fun illustrations of the hand motions from the song.
Includes 203 pages: 40 words total, 3 worksheets per word, plus 2 page mini-songbook per word, and instructions
The Importance of Sight Words
“Sight word” is the term that many teachers use to describe a word in written English that cannot be sounded out, and therefore must be memorized on sight. The reason that most sight words cannot be sounded out is because they do not follow the regular spelling and phonics patterns that are often taught to children when they are beginning to read.
For example, in the word, “the,” the reader must first recognize that the “th” together forms one sound /th/, and the “e” makes neither the short or long /e/ sound, but a short /u/ sound. Likewise, the word, “said” may start and end phonetically, but the middle of the word has short /e/ sound spelled with two letters (“ai”) that are not sounded at all.
In addition, when the children find the words or movements amusing, they are also more likely to remember that song/word, since it touched their emotional side as well. All of this adds up to a learning tool that can reach even special needs children in a regular classroom setting, while at the same time keeping the faster learners happy and challenged as well- because ALL kids learn best when learning is FUN and ACTIVE!
Check out Heidi's blog for more information on Sing & Spell 1:
-What is the best way to use "Sing and Spell"?
-Brand New: Hidden Sight Word Coloring Worksheets!
-What’s Working! - Week 4
-Questions and Answers
Wonders Kindergarten Sight Word Song Collection
Online Streaming Movie
Watch our videos on multiple devices!
HeidiSongs has partnered with Vimeo to offer you streaming, on-demand videos of our DVD's and many Combo packages. You get a 12 month rental, with reliable service on most internet browsers and many other platforms, including iOS, Android, Apple TV, Roku, Amazon Fire, Samsung TV and Chromecast. Each offers you unlimited viewing, anytime you have a connection!
What you'll need: A fast internet connection, an up-to-date browser on your computer, or a playback app for your device.
Apps can be found here: Vimeo Device Apps
It's always important to test your device before you make your rental purchase through Vimeo, as we don't have the ability to refund purchases if your device is unsupported or if you have a poor or inconsistent internet connection. Heidi discovered this when she tried to use the videos on her school computer, only to realize the Window's Internet Explorer browser was outdated, and she had to call the district for an update. An easy test is to verify that the movie "trailer" plays well on your device or computer, if it does, you should not have a problem with purchasing a movie.
Want to know more? Check out the support website here: Vimeo Support Page
©Heidi Butkus - All HeidiSongs materials, including CDs, DVDs, streaming media, printable files and printed books, are for use in ONE classroom. HeidiSongs Copyright Policy is here.